Tuesday 9 December 2008

Animatic (v.2)

As I said in my previous post, my aim was to have some form of proto-soundtrack ready for rushes this week. Well, rushes are tomorrow, and my soundtrack is proto indeed:

--LINK!--

I've added new establishing shots, as promised; rewritten the particularly hideous diologue, as promised; and I've even forced my girlfriend to rerecorded my hideous female impression of it.
All in all, a good couple of days work. I'd have done a lot more, but I lost several days by going home for a posh Christmas do, don't you know.

I'm fairly happy with the music. It is, for want of a better phrase, much too epic for a story set in a shopping mall; and I'm slightly afraid that it distracts from the action for that reason.
The main reason for it is that I wanted something reasonably fast-paced, as this is essentially a chase, and it boiled down to either being slightly too epic or far too techno; so I chose the lesser of two evils.
In places it is too upbeat when it should be downbeat, and conversely so - and throughout it is a tiny bit too heroic for a shoplifter-cum-murderer. But it is the best I have found (and I promise that I did try a lot of musics) and I do like it.
And, for all my foibles with the main score, the ambient elevator moozak is nigh on perfect.

2 comments:

gerry said...

Where are your character and background concept designs? Like to see them posted before you go ahead and begin animation. Don't get a sense of 3D animation from your animatic, it could be a 2D piece!

Rob Vaughan (Nocturnal bob) said...

i love the crash bang whallop voiced sound effects, soo funny you could almost leave them in...