Wednesday 14 January 2009

Last-Minute Update

It's becoming fairly apparent that I am not good at this blogging business. I'm supposed to be handing in a transcript of this blog along with my third-edition animatic today (complete with a phenomenal six - count them, six - keyframes of animation; all of which will probably need doing again).
The only real change to the animatic is the inclusion of some 3D backgrounds. Certainly not finalised 3D backgrounds, but a basic mock-up at least. Other than that it hardly differs (the shoddy spoken sound-effects are still there and everything).
I have attempted to add a running-away coda, as suggested by Adam, but am not happy with it at all. I tried a couple of angles and running towards camera works best, but still not well - although that's probably down to my reluctance to lose my cut-to-black ending. Perhaps I could show him running away after the credits? That's fashionable these days...

Anyway, since it seems that I won't be gaining any marks for my spectacularly underwhelming animatic - and that I will probably be losing marks for this even worse blog - I will try to earn some brownie-points by showing you my first character. This is what I've been up to pretty much solidly since I got back (because, damn am I bad at modelling). I designed and started modelling over Christmas and now (apart from a couple of minor-ish skinning problems) he's a completely animatable character. Only three more to make, and then I'll have my principal cast!






While the body has somewhat dodgy shoulders (which, thank god, the script doesn't require him to use very much) I'm rediculously happy with the face. There are a couple of extreme faces he can't quite pull, but he should be capable of full lip-synch and a fair range of emotions.

So, yeah, maybe that will help drag my grade out of the mud. But probably not.

Who sez blogging makes you emo?

EDIT:
I should probably mention that I've received my first rough draft (is that the right phrase?) of my soundtrack and it seems to be exactly what I'm after. There's not enough of it to actually include in my animatic yet, but it is heading in the right direction.

1 comment:

gerry said...

All that is asked of your blog is that you use it as a forum for reflective analysis of the work you are doing whilst in production. Make sure you set aside one evening per week to do this and check up occasionally for feed-back on material you are developing. If you are happy with character design give some indication of why you think it is a successful design, you mention there are a couple of poses your character will not be able to achieve in story, so how are you going to resolve this?